Call: 1-800-622-7733
Se habla Español

Citations and Noise Violations

If you recently received a citation or ticket for modified emission controls or excessive exhaust noise, you may be directed by law enforcement to see a Referee.

You may see a Referee if you have received one of the following violations:

  • - 27150, modified muffler (noise level test)

  • - 27151, modified exhaust (noise level test)

  • - 27156, modified emissions part (complete smog check)

During your appointment, the Referee will inspect your vehicle and provide detailed information on modifications needed to bring your vehicle into compliance with California law. Referees cannot clear a ticket/citation for you or make vehicle repairs. Please follow up with a law enforcement officer or the issuing agency after having your vehicle inspected by a Referee and making any necessary repairs or modifications.

Unfortunately, we do not perform noise tests unless you already received a citation. If you are concerned about the noise level of your vehicle, please take it to a muffler shop. For Brake and Light inspections, please call the Bureau of Automotive Repair at 1.800.952.5210 to locate a station.


Schedule an

Need smog assistance?
Contact our call center today.